Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My thoughts on spoiler etiquette...

No one likes spoilers. This is equally true for books, movies, and television shows. Here's my spoiler etiquette that I think people should follow:

For online discussion:

 I think that people should wait two days after a television episode to begin discussing it online, two months for a movie, and two weeks for a book.

Obviously, in person, be polite and ask first.

Give a spoiler warming beforehand, whether in person or online.

However, I would also like to add this:

Say someone has a book review channel. They have a video of a book review of a book that just came out. It has spoilers in it. That is your fault, not the creator of the video. You shoukd have figured that. However, if they have a completely different video, and they spoiler another book in that vidoe, then it is their fault.

I also think that people who do not want spoilers should use common sense. Don't go online! Stay off Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr.

Oh, and I don't think that a tweet saying, "OMG Game of Thrones," counts as a spoiler, by the way...

What are your thoughts on spoiler etiquette?

No comments:

Post a Comment